A senior Botswana government official has ordered all the state media, including Botswana Television and Radio, to use positive government statements when reporting on the eviction of Gana and Gwi Bushmen from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR). They have also been told to be 'patriots first and foremost'.
The directive was issued after the main opposition parties, the BNF and BCP, published statements which are deeply critical of the government's policy of forcibly relocating Bushmen from the CKGR. (To see these, go to:
https://www.survival-international.org/news.php?id=1881 and https://www.survival-international.org/news.php?id=1828 ) The President had called the leaders of the opposition parties to a meeting last month in an effort to enlist their support in the government's 'fight against Survival'. This move has clearly backfired.
The Acting President of the Botswana Congress Party, Dr Kesetigile Gobotswang, said that his party will ‘resort to the international media should the government continue to stifle the broadcast of alternative views on the relocation of Basarwa [Bushmen]'.
The Secretary General of the Botswana National Front, Akanyang Magama, said such instructions muzzle press freedom and that ‘a journalist should report freely without being told what to write or say'.
Related news articles
- Kalahari Bushmen appeal to Dalai Lama - Fri August 11, 2017
- Twentieth anniversary of eviction from Kalahari highlights Bushmen plight - Fri May 05, 2017
- Botswana defies its courts on historic anniversary - Tue December 13, 2016
- Revealed: The tragic second act of 'A United Kingdom' - Mon October 03, 2016
- Major victory for Peru’s indigenous peoples: new uncontacted reserve created - Fri July 23, 2021
- First international counter-conference on conservation will denounce “world’s biggest land grab” - Thu July 01, 2021
- UN experts slam Modi’s government for incarceration of indigenous rights defender - Wed June 16, 2021
- Crisis in Yanomami territory as goldminers launch series of attacks - Tue June 15, 2021