De Beers Botswana has made a 100,000 pula ($15,000) donation directly to the country's High Court, bringing accusations of interference in the judicial system. The company has also announced plans for further donations.
The gift comes as De Beers Botswana is immersed in a legal battle with the Botswana Mine Workers Union (BMWU) over the sacking of 461 mine workers who went on strike in 2004.
BMWU secretary-general Jack Tlhagale said the donation should have been made to a ministry and not directly to the High Court.
Related news articles
- Kalahari Bushmen appeal to Dalai Lama - Fri August 11, 2017
- Twentieth anniversary of eviction from Kalahari... - Fri May 05, 2017
- Botswana defies its courts on historic anniversary - Tue December 13, 2016
- Revealed: The tragic second act of 'A United Ki... - Mon October 03, 2016
- UN experts slam Modi’s government for incarcera... - Wed June 16, 2021
- Crisis in Yanomami territory as goldminers laun... - Tue June 15, 2021
- Revealed: Bolsonaro’s plan to wipe out “the wor... - Tue May 18, 2021
- Armed miners launch violent attacks on Yanomami... - Tue May 18, 2021